[Example] Creating a small scene in Valkyrie

sample

Hey guys. I just wanted to share something I have been making in the Valkyre engine. I am an environment artist, so I am building up a small scene to see how it will look like in the engine.

I will share the step by step process as I make it, so maybe it can help someone. This is pretty basic stuff, so I will try to keep it simple and clear, regarding what I did.

Importing my assets:
I created the scene from several elements in Maya, and exported the FBX files, and then I created the textures in Substance Painter and exported all the necessary maps.
I used the Diffuse, Specular, Glossiness, Normal and AO map. Remember, if you use transparency, it is stored in your Diffuse - alpha channel, and your for your PBR assets, Glossiness map must be in the Specular’s alpha channel. I used the TGA files for this and created the maps in photoshop. You can also set up the export preset in you Substance for this. I will create it later and post it in the future, it might come handy.

To import the assets in the engine, I simply copied them to the work folder of the new app I created for this: C:/User/USER_NAME/Documents/VlkApps/APP_NAME. For the sake of ordering things, I created the “Textures” and “Models” folders inside it and pasted the models and textures to their respective folders. (1)

Setting the models in scene:
Ok, so the first step was do drag and drop the models into the scene.
As the models are placed where I dropped them, I needed to set the positions for each of them, in order for them to assemble nicely. (2)

Ctrl+F will then zoom in on your scene. (3)

Materials
Pressing ctrl+m shows the material editor, and here I assigned some coherent colours for to easily differentiate between the materials by simply pressing the coloured square next to Diffuse and selecting the colour. (4)

This is what I got up to now. I will try to post progress and update the thread every day. So, hopefully, tomorrow I will apply some maps to make this more like what I have in Substance Painter.
Cheers
B

2 Likes

Great overview!

I think when you place the models you can drag them to the timeline, verse the viewport, and they will load at 0,0,0 or whatever the file’s pivot point is. I’ll try it out to be sure. I normally drag to the timeline

2 Likes

Yes, if you drag in the timeline they’ll drop at 0,0,0.

If you drop it in the view it does a “best effort” to drop it on the existing geometry. So if you have some environment with collision setup (its physics set to “Mesh”) anything you drop on it visually will “stick” to that object, the boundary of the object you drop are used to compute that, it works quite well for props, and small/medium size objects, but for large environments its not as useful of course.

Thanks guys, that helps speed up the process. Today, I will be playing with the bump maps, and I’ll post the progress here.
Cheers
B

Ok, I continued the scene work today, with importing the bump map and playing around with it.

Selecting the object you wish to apply it to, will show the material slots in the material editor. (1)
So, the first thing to do is drag and drop the normal/height map file into the correct material slot.(2)

The important thing to remember for bump maps is that your HEIGHT should be contained in the Normal map Alpha channel. By enabling the normal/height map (3), you can then click the colour box, and adjust the normals strength by adjusting the colour property of the material, and the height strength by adjusting the Alpha property. (4)

I’m pretty happy with how this is turning out. Next I will be applying the specular/glossiness map and the albedo.

Hope this was helpful.
Cheers
B

2 Likes

Hi,
So, for the final look, I played around with Spec/Glossiness, Transparency and Added the Diffuse map.

I’ll try to be brief and to the point, so here goes.

Diffuse map
Pretty much straight forward - drag and drop the map into the slot. (1)

spec/gloss map*
The glossiness map is stored in the Alpha channel of the Specular map. Also just drag and drop, and the result is immediately obvious.(2)

Transparency map
The transparency map is stored in the Diffuse Alpha channel. What I did is added the diffuse map to the opacity and turned on tha Translucency option, which then gave me the result according to the opacity map. (3)

Ok, guys, that is it from me for now. I’m sure I will play some more with this, and I will post any progress I make.
CHeers
B

2 Likes

Congratulations! It looks great.
You can also use some actions to animate the water.
To achieve this, apply a materialuvexpression action onto the mesh containing the water and type time in the relevant axis. I’ll write a detailed tutorial on how to achieve this.

@Anthorax, I’m playing with your scene. Noticed you forgot to turn on the ambient flag on your light. When the switch is off AO / Lightmaps are ignored.
Added some procedural water for testing.

2 Likes

Underwater fully grown tress :wink:

Wow, this looks nice! can you write in short lines how to create this? Also, I didnt know about the ambient flag. nice to know, thanks!

would it be possible to make the water flow, from the waterfall? I’d like to make it, and add a body of water maybe in the bottom, that would spice up the scene.
Cheers
B

You can add animated textures using one of the actions. I think the name is MaterialUVExpression ? You can also try adding a particle system. Both cases will require some experimintation. There used to be a ‘waterfall’ example in the TestSamples download. For the waterfall itself, I don’t think you’ll be able to use the water like you see in the example above though. You will need to add your own textures/materials.

You will need to download the latest version on the forum. I’ll upload the project file today.
Note that this is still under testing so some translucent materials like the one on the waterfall may not be rendered correctly.