[Showcase] Space Invaders

Hi Guys,
I just revived an old project and thought I would share it with you. It is a recreation of the arcade game SpaceInvaders. This tribute is a work in progress and isn’t 100% accurate. My goal is to capture the spirit of the game and learn new things along the way.

I didn’t have any real reference for the game rules. I only had what I could remember playing growing up and some YouTube videos so I could time everything. I figured out a lot of the game rules but a lot are still missing.

Here is a link to a video I captured:

Sincerely,
-Troy

Ah, can only put one image in a post as a new user.

Hi Troy, great stuff, I can’t wait to see more :slight_smile:

I’ve increased your reputation, you should be able to post links&files now.

Hi guys,
Here is a small update showing more of the features. All of the game logic was done in Valkyrie and some of the art (bunkers/shields). As a non-programmer, being able to recreate a game without programming is a great accomplishment for me.

It is always interesting opening up an old project and trying to figure out why you made certain choices and realize how far you’ve come since. This project is no exception and there are plenty of great examples.

There is still a lot of work to be done but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now!

Here are some screenshots showing off the different game view modes:

Here is a video showing the game in action.

Can we get a vpk/exe to play with? :slight_smile:

Here is a broken version you can try out. I’d stick to just using this with mouse and keyboard for now. I was updating the logic and broke some things in the process. There are new actions in place from when I first made this app and it makes life easier. I am trying to update to the newer stuff while on vacation- not working out as planned :slight_smile:

http://liquidfaith.com/tgusler/files/SpaceInvaders/_Troy_SpaceInvadersTribute03-20181224.exe

I introduced a bug that is causing the entire enemy mob to be killed. I don’t know if it is tied to one of my dev keys or logic issue. I am looking in to it. If it didn’t have that major problem it’d be pretty playable.

Shift+D will bring up the ui that shows some of the dev keys. Not all the keys work since they were made at different times. Biggest one is the reset. Hold it for over 5 seconds to get a full reset. If it doesn’t look like it worked then try again. This project grew out of scope so there are issues like this and why I don’t want to hand out the vpk and level. I wouldn’t want someone to learn the wrong way to make an app :stuck_out_tongue: :slight_smile:

Any questions on how to setup some logic, just ask.

Vr
-Troy