Playback AR Scenes and 3D VPKs on iOS
- Home Screen
- Play Modes
- Upload a Valkyrie Scene in We3D
- Share a Scene from We3D
- Screen recording
- We3D Settings
If you want more, check out We3D app features.
The Home screen of We3D contains 2 tabs: Home and Content.
In this tab you can access some of the samples we shared and try the app. Tap on the Vpk button to upload the Scene in We3D.
The Project button allows you to save the project file on iCloud easily and then open it on your Mac to edit in Valkyrie Engine (since iOS 13 has a download manager).
The content tab will show you all the Scenes you previously uploaded in We3D.
A tap on a Scene will show you all play modes available and allow you to share the Scene.
A long press on a Scene will allow you to delete it.
To open a Valkyrie scene, tap on the scene’s icon once, a menu will appear and allow you to select how to play your scene.
- The 3D mode allows you to experience Valkyrie scenes on your phone’s screen just like on a computer.
- The AR mode allows you to experience the Valkyrie scenes in Augmented Reality.
You will have to anchor the scene in your environment by scanning a surface with your phone camera.
Watch how to anchor with AR
- The AR Marker mode also allows you to experience the Valkyrie scenes in Augmented Reality.
You will have to use the following marker to anchor your scene, or create your own and set it up in your VPK.
Watch how to anchor with AR marker
Display or Print the following AR marker to use this mode:
- To return to the Home Screen while viewing a scene in play mode, tap on the menu located on the top-right corner and tap the Home button.
Note that all Valkyrie Scenes can be experienced in any modes (even though it would not make sense for certain type of Scenes).
A Valkyrie Scene uses the VPK file extension, however a .exe file produced with Valkyrie Engine would also work in We3D.
There are multiple ways to upload a VPK on your iOS devices.
- Use a link given to you by someone else, or upload your VPK file to your preferred online storage service.
- Upload it on your iOS device using Safari and select Open in We3D.
- Use any app’s share/open into feature and select “Copy to We3D” or “Open in We3D” while sharing a VPK file.
- While connected to a Wi-Fi network, open We3D on your iOS Device.
- Tap on the menu on the top-right corner and your current IP address will be displayed.
- On a computer connected to the same Wi-Fi network, enter this IP Address in your web browser and you will able to directly upload files to your iOS Device by drag & dropping them onto the web page.
You can copy your VPK files in the root directory.
You can create any number of subfolders if ever you want to sort VPK out. They will nevertheless be displayed in the same content tab in the app.
VPKs shared from other apps will be saved under the download folder.
Dropping a VPK onto the autorun folder will launch it automatically.
In order to share a scene from We3D to anyone using your messaging apps, you just need to tap on a scene in the content tab and select the share option.
You can then use any app you want to send your VPK over to your contacts.
Consider the size of your VPK file, it might take a short while to send.
You can use the native Screen Recording iOS feature to do so.
Check out this short tutorial on how to set it up if you are unfamiliar with the feature.
To access the Settings Menu, navigate to the Home Screen of your iPhone, open the Settings app and select “We3D”. You can also access that menu from the app through the Settings option under the current IP address of the top-right corner menu.
Here are the available settings:
- MSAA 4X controls the Anti-Aliasing. Turning off this option improves performance at the cost of rendering quality.
- Retina Resolution controls the rendering resolution. Turning off this option improves performance at the cost of rendering quality.
- Limit to 30 FPS limits the maximum frames per second to 30 frames per second. Can improve battery life at the cost of smoothness of playback - not recommended for AR.
- Low Res Textures reduces the resolution of all textures featured in the Valkyrie Scene. Can improve performance at the cost of display quality.
- No Post Process disables Post Process entities such as bloom. Can improve performance at the cost of display quality.
- Draw FPS displays the number of frames rendered per second.
- Draw Profiler displays a graph to measure the performance over time.
- MultiTouch allows actions such as pinching the screen to zoom.